Thursday, December 2, 2010

two-four

This week is week 24. Officially turning over on Sunday.
I remember when the idea of 24 or two-four meant something entirely different.

This week feels as eventful as some previous posts of multiple weeks. I start to wonder what I did with all my free time before, as it is now consumed with pregnancy. Always amazing how one new thing can take over in life.

To start off the 24th week I went grocery shopping and for the first time let the belly pick a few items. I am generally a strict list person. The belly was thinking that fish and chips sounded good, as did beets and parsley. None of these things are out of the norm for me, I like them all and had no real intentions of eating them together, just having them in the house.

Monday night rolls around and I decide to make fish and chips for supper, with a side of beets. With my own bias in place, I tend to think of myself as a great cook and this was a simple freezer to oven meal.....well it botched somewhere along the way as I ended up with what I self diagnosed as food poisoning later on that night. I spent a lengthy part of the evening in the washroom throwing up....and for reasons left unwritten I threw up in the tub. This meant that after all ordeal was over, I still had to clean the tub. Probably a low point in life. Beets do keep their colour the whole way through the system! It was some extreme pain riffeling through me for about a 1/2 hr prior to getting sick and I debated if it was early labor. I had no real clue what to expect if I were to go early, and I mean way early, and I was hoping it would not feel like knives ripping through your stomach.

I was still off from my normal self on Tuesday and not handling food well. Everything I ate seemed to hurt in my stomach....but over the next few days it settled out. Thankful once again I have an iron stomach and could get over something so quickly. I met with my midwife for my regular monthly visit as well on Tuesday. I absolutely love the atmosphere of that office. It puts me in a meditative state to be in there. I am unfortunately or fortunately gain a lot of weight...good for the baby, not so great for my waistline. I had to review my diet and we came to the conclusion that I need to cut back on sugar even more. I don't have a sweet tooth at all, so it was very minimal to begin with, but I do consume a lot of juice and fruit, and need to cut that back a little. I am still working on bringing up the iron levels. We discussed very briefly all my birthing options and she left me with some literature for birthing places.....if I thought for even one moment I could have control in my own home, I would not rule out that idea.....but the thought of unwanted visitors during labor is my main fear. I want to have some peace and tranquility for this birth and hate that my own home does not allow for that.

I am finishing this week on a high note with a great massage today. YAY benefits and massages. The hour went by quick and I could have stayed on the table for a mid afternoon nap when it was all finished. Such a great treat to help the body relax and loosen up....can't wait for the next one in 2 weeks.

Planning on some reading this weekend and getting caught up on life - laundry, cleaning, to do's...they all seem to be piled up for weekends when I can have free time.

16 weeks left

No comments: