Friday, December 31, 2010

this might as well be a stegosaurus

I feel anxious about the baby arriving. I don't feel prepared and I am not sure how to prepare, which makes me more anxious. I feel like I could easily be bringing home a stegosaurus and I would be just as unsure for what to do. Actually, I have owned dogs for years and a new pet may be easier to get a handle on.

I started to search out a basic list of the MUST HAVES for bringing a baby into your home and the lists seems a tad ridiculous. There are no TOP 10's out there. I would like to think that my grandparents and even my parents had less than this and we turned out fine, so I am trying to keep it real.....yet be cautious and a slight nervous wreck and think I need everything. Besides needing the basics stocked up for the baby to be safe, comfortable and feel at home, I need to know things are ready for me to be a mom as well.

for my own sanity - I have pinked the stuff I have, so I know what to still buy.

Here is a compilation of many web generated lists (this only includes cloth diapering and breastfeeding items):
BABY:

Baby Couture:

  • one-piece outfits - recommendations say 6 (5)
  • 6-8 cotton side-snap undershirts or "onesies"
  • Snowsuit for winter babies
  • 4 or more booties or baby socks
  • 6 or more receiving blankets
  • Baby mittens (to prevent scratching if baby is prone to this) or for winter babies
  • 2 or more hats appropriate for season

Nursery Needs:

  • Crib/bassinette - I have both, due to recommendations, but I think 1 is plenty to start.
  • 4 or more fitted crib sheets (I have 1 so far)
  • Crib mobile - I doubt this is a NEEDED item, but I like the music mine plays.
  • Rocking Chair
  • Changing table with necessities:
    • Diapers
      If Cloth-diapering:
      • enough for 2 or 3 days depending on your washing schedule. I am going to try 24 all in one that grow as the baby grows diapers and see if that works. (24)
      • gentle laundry detergent - although you may have this to have pre-washed clothes I still need some for the cloth diapers.
    • Baby wipes or lots of baby washcloths (you can use a spray bottle to wet them)
    • Diaper Pail (and wet bags x2)
    • Diaper Rash ointment - be prepared for the worst.


Breastfeeding Basics:

  • Disposable or washable nursing pads
  • Nursing bras
  • Nursing pillow

Bath Time Basics:

  • Baby Tub
  • Gentle Baby wash
  • Baby Shampoo (or just use the Baby Bath lotion in the beginning)
  • Baby washcloths (these are better than adult cloths…thinner and more flexible)
  • Baby towels (hooded seem to be all the rage) I am aiming for 4 or 5 due to laundry demands. (2)
  • Baby-safe scissors or clippers

Medicine Chest Staples:

  • Rubbing alcohol, Q-tips (good for cord care)
  • Infant Tylenol
  • Baby thermometer
  • There could be a thousand more things that parents actually need, but I put very little on here as I really don't know what it would be used for.

On-The-Road Supplies:

  • Car Seat
  • Diaper Bag
  • Stroller
  • Infant chest carrier - not needed right away, but I kept it so i can check it off.
MOM:
  • a weeks worth of meals made and in the freezer to get through some sleepless days
  • labor bag packed - more lists online :)
  • nursing bras
  • pads
RIDICULOUS LIST:
This is the list of things I have seen on many lists that fall under redic for me. I can see why these things will eventually be important, but seriously, are they NEEDED for the first few weeks or months and are they really something you should have a new parent worry about?
To all new moms.....get this when you need it, or anticipate needing it....do not fret over these items prior to the birth of your baby.

  • high chair - - your baby cannot sit up for months, no worries about this item.
  • electrical plug covers - your baby cannot crawl or get around on their own for many months, therefore no where near electrical sockets.
  • baby gates - same as above
  • safety locks and latches - same as above
  • toys - this can probably be kept to a minimum in the beginning.
  • walker- wait until your baby can sit up for these types of babysitters.

I will try to 1> remember to make a better list after the baby is born and I actually see first hand what was good, bad and unnecessary for bringing a baby home and 2> make some lists of diaper bag needs and hospital bag needs.

1 comment:

Christielli said...

I like your analysis of the ridiculous list.

I remember a couple of summers ago sitting with a friend in a coffee shop as she studied a list similar to this. She had few of the items, so we walked to a Shopper's and got pads. A couple of days later, I got a text saying "guess who just went into labour?" (A month early.)

Moral of story: if you want your baby to come early be unprepared!

However, no need to worry yourself really. As you said, our grandparents and parents were far less prepared and we all turned out fine. More than fine I'd say!