Wednesday, May 25, 2011

showers

I am having one of those super busy weeks which will blend into the busiest of weekends. OY!
Each day this week has a little something happening and the evenings have a lot of something going on, followed by a whirlwind trip to the family land for the weekend. Nothing like leaving Friday at 6pm to drive 5+ hours with a baby, arrive at my moms who will want to visit, beg for sleep, get up and drive another 1.5 hours to my aunts, baby shower for 3 hours, drive back to moms, then make room for a visit with dad before driving another 5+ hours after lunch. OY!
I also fear that this looong weekend is following a quick (8hours) 'there and back' trip to Ottawa on Thursday. sigh.

All of that....not even why I thought to blog.

I am heading south for a baby shower/meet and great the baby. I am excited and not. My aunt's are hosting this for me, and they are always so generous, but I always feel it is also so fake for me. I only speak with my one aunt normally, the other 2 I see at events like this. So it seems awkward at times. I also wanted this day for my friends to visit, which some are able to, but not about the gifts. The thing around a shower is that expectation, and I hate that part. My aunts go overboard, and I really mean overboard with showers. My mom is 20 years younger than them, so they have not had small people or weddings etc in a long time, so they spoil my brother and I for stuff like this (only me, as he has not done this yet). I appreciate how amazing they are, but I also feel the pressure for those who come and expect it to be a normal shower and then see how crazy 3 aunts can get.

I should just enjoy being spoiled and having everyone meet the baby. If nothing else, the food is always so amazing and the game of present jenga into my truck is a fun ending.

1 comment:

Christielli said...

Family stuff can often be overwhelming, but I guess we just all have to step back and realize we're lucky to have them, crazy or not.

See ya at the shower ever so briefly!