Sunday, May 22, 2011

it is all in the wipe

Along with using cloth diapers, I am using cloth wipes. Researching cloth diapers prior to the babies arrival it became apparent that using cloth wipes would be the way to go for our family. I am already doing laundry, so what's a few more items. I had bought a bunch of cheap baby wash cloths that I thought would work......they suck and I often avoid them when they surface in the pile of wipes. I also bought more expensive fleece ones that have proven to be the best. The major difference between cloth wipes and disposable is that mine require wetness. In the beginning I was wetting them in the bathroom with warm water so diaper changes would be a little smoother for the baby, but now with warmer weather and her being a little older, she doesn't mind a cooler temp. I now have a spray bottle in her bedroom that I spray the cloth with to moisten it. I suppose regular water would work in the bottle, but I am cleaning a dirty butt, so some cleaning agent was going to be required. I googled recipes and decided upon the following:

Olive 'n' Tea Tree

Cloth Wipe Solution Recipes - Olive Oil A great natural wipes solution.
1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin not necessary)
1/8 cup gentle baby bath
A few drops tea tree oil
4 cups water



I modified it slightly to use grape seed oil instead of olive oil. I use grape seed oil for her massage oil so I had a big bottle of it.



This site has many varieties of homemade wipe solutions if you are ever in the market to make your own. http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml

No comments: