Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Girl time

This past week has been all about the girl time. My husband was out of town for the week, so the baby and I had 6 days of intense bonding. I think she became slightly sucky during the week. It was easier to pick her up the moment she fussed, rather than let her be, because it would take so long to calm her down if she got worked up....and being alone, I didn't have it in me all the time to do that.....so she was in my arms the better part of the week. It was nice though, she is so cuddly and it is sweet how she loves to be snuggled into me to nap. How can that be bad?

After all my planning while pregnant, reading, studying for the final exam of parenthood, I wonder how I am doing on the test. I had great intentions that I have already broke. She sleeps in bed with us more than she should. Part of this is me being so tired at night, that I give anything for sleep....and anything happens to be sleeping in the big bed. She sleeps so much better, quicker to get to sleep and longer next to me, so I cave. I really want her in her own bed though. As much as I get more sleep, it is not quality sleep. I think I need to exchange 1 really awesome hour for 2.5 mediocre hours. My goal next week is to have her in her bassinet most of the night each night and in her bassinet all the time by the following week. Eventually she will have to move to her own room, and for sure I am not sleeping in the crib with her. Really, I am not!

I also need to sort out the separation anxiety we both have. I hate people holding her and she hates not being held. This leaves me holding her all the time. My pipes are starting to look ripped, but my sanity may also be ripping a little. Her crying breaks my heart and I am not a fan of the cry it out method. I want to believe that if she is crying, she is communicating a need. I don't want to ignore the need to try and teach a 3 week old a lesson. I want to meet her needs. I just need to find a way to meet them while she is horizontal and on her own for a short while.
The wraps have really been my lifesaver so far. She loves them and hands free baby carrying seems to be working for me as well.

1 comment:

Christielli said...

I don't think you have to worry about getting marks taken off if you don't follow all of the rules of perfect parenthood. I don't think having her sleep in your bed is going to be detrimental.

I laughed at loud when you said your pipes are getting ripped!

I know that you are doing a great job! :) Hope you enjoyed your week of girl time!