Wednesday, July 20, 2011

your own

I always find that you get along best with your own kind. This can mean a lot of things depending on the situation. I find I get a long best with my own friends, my own family and people who are like minded.....it makes sense as this is what I know or choose to surround myself with.

I went to a baby/mom yoga class yesterday and felt that I was with my own people there. They were all strangers, but I felt a kinship with them. They were a small group of moms who felt the need to socialize through yoga which I feel speaks for the type of person in itself. They were breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering mom for the most part, or in some part. I felt like I belonged and that i didn't have to justify even one of my choices with this group. It was really nice to feel normal, which has been tough to find lately. I have 3 more classes with this group before the studio determines if this will be an ongoing class. I left the class feeling like my old self...confident, in control, happy, and well stretched. I needed that moment like no other.

I also have a girls weekend coming up this weekend. It is with my family (cousins, aunts, extended family) and I generally find this side of the family to be in sync with my thoughts. Like all families, we are wacky and don't always mesh, but we do all make a strong effort to be supportive. Our weekend is usually filled with randomness and this is no exception. There are morning sessions of yoga on the beach planned (one aunt is an instructor), reflexology afternoons (2 aunts practice this), acupuncture (1 aunt has a doctorate in Chinese medicine), healthy food, good wine, taro cards (long story, but we all like to have a strong spiritual side outside of religion) and toasts to grandma. She has long since passed away, but she is always in the conversations. We all seem to hold her high in regard.
I know this weekend will be a rejuvenating experience, even if I do have the baby by myself for 5 days, out of routines, and getting more advice than I need, it will be good for the soul.

My soul took a huge kick last night and it is in need of repairs. My MIL out right knocked breastfeeding in front of me and made my choice the butt of her joke in the middle of a family dinner out at a restaurant. After all the issues that go on with her, she pushes me further away. I know it was a joke, but she chose to hit where it hurts. I didn't say anything...there is no point, and unfortunately I don't forget very easy, but hopefully I can get back some balance this weekend.

3 comments:

Christielli said...

Sorry about the MIL comment. :(

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph left me picking my jaw up from the floor. I'm sorry MIL made you feel that way.
BUT I'm glad you are able to connect with family this weekend. you are lucky to ahve a chance to be surrounded by all those great talents (yoga, reflexology, acupuncture and tarot). I love your aunts, they are so much fun. Hope it's good for your soul.
Amy

Anonymous said...

it always surprises me how against breast feeding women of your MIL age are... Hope you can work through it!
Jo